This dataset was taken from the list of OpenIntro dataset files found at https://www.openintro.org/data/.
OpenIntro features a number of free books that can be used in high school and AP statistics courses. The license on these datasets is currently unknown. You can find out more about OpenIntro at https://www.openintro.org.
In 2004, the state of North Carolina released to the public a large data setcontaining information on births recorded in this state. This data set hasbeen of interest to medical researchers who are studying the relationbetween habits and practices of expectant mothers and the birth of theirchildren. This is a random sample of 1,000 cases from this data set.
- fage - Father's age in years.
- mage - Mother's age in years.
- mature - Maturity status of mother.
- weeks - Length of pregnancy in weeks.
- premie - Whether the birth was classified as premature (premie) or full-term.
- visits - Number of hospital visits during pregnancy.
- gained - Weight gained by mother during pregnancy in pounds.
- weight - Weight of the baby at birth in pounds.
- lowbirthweight - Whether baby was classified as low birthweight (low) or not (not low).
- gender - Gender of the baby, female or male.
- habit - Status of the mother as a nonsmoker or a smoker.
- marital - Whether mother is married or not married at birth.
- whitemom - Whether mom is white or not white.
Taken from: https://www.openintro.org/data/index.php?data=ncbirths.